The purpose of this blog.


This Blog is a gathering of material that has been found through personal research. I have put this blog together as a way to share my research with the Civilians of Crew 1872. When available I will provide links to the site it came from and credit. Please be patient with me as I go back through all posts to make sure the proper creidt was given.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Flowers


When a Victorian suitor wished to declare his love he often used flowers, rather than words, to express his feelings to his beloved. This charming custom was popular through-out the 19th century and carried over into the twentieth.

Here are a few flowers showing specific meanings that would have been known to people who sent and received them in the 19th early 20th centuries:
Anemone (Forsaken)
Apple Blossom (Preference)
Bachelors Buttons (Celibacy)
Buttercup (Ingratitude, Childishness)
Carnation, deep red (My poor heart)
Chrysanthemum, Red (I Love)
Chrysanthemum, White (Truth)
Clematis (Mental Beauty)
Daisy (Innocence)
Fern (Fascination)
French Marigold (Jealousy)
Hollyhock (Ambition)
Hyacinth (Sport, play)
Peony (Shame, Bashfulness)
Primrose, Evening (Inconstancy)
Rose (Love)
Rose, Cabbage (Ambassador of Love)
Rose, Multi-flora (Grace)
Rose, White (I am worthy of you)
Rose, Yellow (Decrease of Love, jealousy)
Violet, Blue (Faithfulness)
Water Lily (Purity of heart)
Rose, Christmas (Tranquilize my anxiety)

No comments:

Post a Comment